The Deutsches Bergbau-Museum Bochum (DBM) is with his about 400,000 site visitors per calendar year one of the mainly visited museums of Germany.
It is one of the most significant mining museums of the globe and at the exact same time a well known analysis institute for Montanhistory.
The beginnings of the mining museum go back for the 1860s when the Westfälische Berggewerkschaftskasse (WBK) furnishes a continuous exhibition of mountain-architectural utensils in Bochum which served largely the mountain school classes. In the end of the twenties issues have been designed by reps of the WBK and the town of Bochum for the foundation of a publicly accessible mining museum.
The foundation contract for the historic museum of the mining was closed on the 1st of April, 1930 in between the town of Bochum and the WBK, as the first corridor of the museum serves the outdated cattle corridor of the closed Bochum slaughterhouse. On the location of the slaughterhouse a new building of the museum building with added exhibition area was spelled out in 1935 according to draughts by Fritz Schupp and Heinrich Holzapfel.
In 1936 one commenced with the building of the customer mine.
In 1943 the not nevertheless fantastic museum new properties have been ruined by allied air raids thoroughly, the customer mine was altered for the air defence. Now in 1946 the museum was reopened with a modest exhibition. In the fifties the museum was anew constructed up and prolonged, in 1960 the distances of the see mine on a complete length of 2,510 metres are designed.
The shaft tower was moved in the decades 1973 and 1974 by the closed mine “Germania” in Dortmund-Marten to Bochum. The conversion was financed from signifies of the North Rhine-Westphalian Ministry of Education and the Arts.