The Deutsches Bergbau-Museum Bochum (DBM) is with his about four hundred,000 people per year one of the largely frequented museums of Germany.
It is one of the most significant mining museums of the environment and at the similar time a well-known study institute for Montanhistory.
The beginnings of the mining museum go again for the 1860s when the Westfälische Berggewerkschaftskasse (WBK) furnishes a continual exhibition of mountain-architectural utensils in Bochum which served primarily the mountain school lessons. In the finish of the 1920s issues had been produced by associates of the WBK and the metropolis of Bochum for the basis of a publicly accessible mining museum.
The basis agreement for the historical museum of the mining was closed on the 1st of April, 1930 among the metropolis of Bochum and the WBK, as the initial hall of the museum serves the old cattle hall of the closed Bochum slaughterhouse. On the area of the slaughterhouse a new making of the museum making with added exhibition house was stated in 1935 in accordance to draughts by Fritz Schupp and Heinrich Holzapfel.
In 1936 one began with the building of the visitor mine.
In 1943 the not however great museum new properties had been destroyed by allied air raids thoroughly, the visitor mine was altered for the air defence. Already in 1946 the museum was reopened with a tiny exhibition. In the fifties the museum was anew constructed up and prolonged, in 1960 the distances of the check out mine on a whole length of 2,510 metres are produced.
The shaft tower was moved in the several years 1973 and 1974 by the closed mine “Germania” in Dortmund-Marten to Bochum. The conversion was financed from signifies of the North Rhine-Westphalian Ministry of Education and the Arts.